Fasting is the willful refrainment from eating and drinking. Fasting is considered to be a necessary form of treatment in Ayurveda. Fasting allows the body to digest accumulated toxins, rekindles digestive fire, and clears bodily channels whilst drying excess moisture from the tissues.
As research grows in this area, short-term fasting has been found to offer excellent health benefits and is fast becoming a widely accepted means of managing weight and preventing disease.
BENEFITS OF FASTING:
– Weight Loss: Helps you lose weight and belly fat. Short-term fasting boosts metabolism and helps preserve muscle tissue to reduce body fat.
– Blood Sugar Control: Insulin sensitivity improves, and levels of insulin drop dramatically. Fasting improves blood sugar control which is helpful for those at risk of diabetes.
– Cellular Repair: During a fast, your cells initiate cellular repair processes and autophagy sets in. Äuto” means self, “Phagy” means eat. Which honestly doesn’t sound great, but it is actually beneficial to your overall health. It is when cells digest and remove old, dysfunctional, and toxic proteins that build up inside the cells attributed to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s Disease and Parkinson’s Disease. It also prompts the regeneration of healthy cells as we age. Autophagy declines, and we end up having cells in the body that no longer work or harmful cells that multiply. All cancers start from the multiplication of defective cells. Ideally, the body should identify and remove these cells using the autophagic process, which is stimulated during fasting.
– Fights Inflammation: Acute inflammation is a natural immune response to help fight infections. However, chronic inflammation usually develops in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cancer, Heart diseases etc. Fasting helps decrease levels of inflammation in the body and overall helps promote better health.
– Enhances Heart Health: Fasting reduces “bad” LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, inflammatory markers, blood sugar and insulin resistance – all of which are risk factors for heart disease.
– Powerful Effect on Brain Health: Fasting increases the brain hormone BDNF, which may aid the growth of new nerve cells, protecting against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Delays Aging and Extends Longevity: The creation of new cells and changes in the function of genes then initiates critical cellular repair processes that naturally will extend the life span.
A word of caution: When fasting, make sure you stay hydrated, eat nutrient-dense foods and get plenty of rest. Always consult your doctor if you have any other health conditions or plan to fast for more than 24hrs.
IN CONCLUSION: Fasting has a wide range of potential benefits, including weight loss, improved blood sugar control, improves heart health and brain function, as well as prevents cancer.
Choose the proper fast for your body type and one that fits into your lifestyle.
To be continued…
These tips are shared by Ma Earth Botanicals; a company committed to nature-inspired wellness. They combine timeless natural remedies with signature Aromatherapy to balance your body’s earth, wind, fire, water, and ether.
Save 10% at Ma Earth Botanicals. Use code “ABOUTHER10” at checkout.