Yoga is known for improving flexibility and muscle power. From rendering balanced metabolism to improved respiration, yoga can do a lot for you. So, if you are on a weight loss journey, sliding yoga under the rug is not recommended. Yoga not only bids farewell to your excess fat but also eases your stressful mind.
In this blog, we will shed light on the top 5 yoga poses for weight loss you could include in your weight loss journey. So, let’s begin.
Doing yoga will benefit you in many ways. You will become active, smart, and flexible and achieve unbelievably amazing motor skills.
1. Plank Pose (Phalakasana)
Plank pose helps you with weight loss and increases your endurance, flexibility, and balance. This one pose can bring miracles in from your head to toe.
How to get into a plank pose?
1. Lay plainly on your stomach and raise your torso on your elbows and toes. (Your back should be straight.)
2. You don’t have to move up and down. Just remain in this position by tensing your core muscles.
3. During your plank pose, squeeze your naval and abdominal muscles. After that, do the same thing for your thigh muscles along with gluteal muscles.
4. Carry your shoulders out from your ears.
You should remain in this position for 60 seconds. And yes, feeling a burning sensation in your muscles implies you are burning calories. Don’t worry about it–that’s a good sign!
2. Warrior Pose (Virabhadrasana)
The warrior pose is one of the effective yoga poses for weight loss that happens to shape your thick and saggy thighs and shoulders. With this pose, you get sharp concentration. If you indulge more time in this pose, you reap more fruits. Just a few moments of this amazing yoga pose can tighten your quads.
How to get into Warrior Pose?
1. Stand in a mountain pose. (Mountain pose: Stand tall with your feet positioned deep into the floor. Take your tailbone a little bit forward. Keep your pelvis relaxed and hands at shoulder length. Close your eyes and take deep breaths.)
2. Now, take your left foot towards the back of your yoga mat and transfer your weight to the front of your foot. Bend your right knee over your ankle. While you inhale, hold your arms straight up over your head. Gently curve your back and breathe for five seconds.
3. Lengthen your stance. Gaze in front of you and take your left foot out at 90 degrees. Stretch your arms and palms down to the extent they come in level with your shoulders.
Carry your right arm ahead and your left arm back. Concentrate on the edges of your nails. (Make sure that your right knee is still bent over your right ankle, and your hips should position towards the floor.) Stay in this position for five seconds.
4. Take your palms upward and take your upper body slightly back. Your left hand should slide along your left leg. Your back should curve gently and curl your right arm up above your head. Look at your ceiling. Do it again for the other side.
3. Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
Do the triangle pose properly to benefit your legs, knees, ankles, joints, hips, groin muscles, hamstrings, calves, shoulders, and spine. Not only this, the triangle pose tends to improve your metabolism. And yes, if you are suffering from stress and an unstable emotional state, this triangle pose is a must for you.
How to get into triangle pose?
1. Position your body in the mountain pose. Move your feet a little broader than your shoulders and expand your arms so that they are parallel to the ground. Your palms should face down. If you have chosen the right side first, the right foot should be at angle of 90 degree with the end of the mat and left foot at 45 degree angle.
2. Breathe deeply and release as you lower your body at the hip joint and stretch to the side over the right leg. The side of your waists should not have any scrunch. Your tailbone should be elongated towards your back heel.
3. Then, take your right arm in the south direction towards your right foot and hold your ankle with your right hand. Your left arm should reach upwards, and the fingers pointing towards the ceiling. Overall, you would be forming a vertical line with your arms and shoulders.
4. When you have aligned your shoulders, throw back your head and look at the ceiling. And then, hold and repeat. There are some things to keep in mind while doing the triangle pose. Your legs should be straight and your back shouldn’t bend at all. Try as much as you can to engage your muscles.
4. Downward Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Shavanasana)
Downward dog pose is known to tone your stomach and arms– a great weight loss yoga position. Apart from weight loss benefits, this pose improves blood circulation and strengthens your shoulders, arms, back, and legs.
In addition, if you want some effective remedy for your mental health issues, go for downward dog pose. This amazing pose will bid farewell to your stress, anxiety, insomnia, and disturbing mood swings.
How to get into Downward Dog Pose?
1. Begin by bending over and placing your palms on the floor. Your wrists should align with your shoulders and toes.
2. While exhaling, push your hips up and back and straighten your legs.
3. Involve your arms and keep your shoulders away from your ears.
4. Activate your core and bend your knees one after another.
5. In case you feel tight, press through your heels and start pedalling your feet back and forth.
For warming up, you can consider plank pose. Warming up improves blood flow in your body and remove the probability of any injury.
5. Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sawvangasana)
To achieve muscle toning, proper digestion, normal hormone levels, and more, you should not skip bridge pose.
How to get into Bridge Pose?
1. Lie straight on your back and raise your knees. Your feet should align with the floor and palms too.
2. Raise your hips towards the ceiling and exhale.
3. Gently position your raised body over your shoulders.
4. Clutch both hands together below your back.
Remain in this pose for sixty seconds and continue breathing.
That’s all with the yoga poses for weight loss!
Q1. Can I kick away abdominal fat with the help of yoga?
Ans 1. Of course, you can bid farewell to your stubborn fat with the help of yoga and look toned, fit, and stunning. For belly fat, you can indulge into Cobra pose or plank pose or both.
Q2. Is a few minutes yoga enough for weight loss?
Ans 2. First, you should start doing yoga for twenty minutes. Then, you can start increasing your yoga time. The more you do, the more flexible you become.
Q3. Which is better–yoga or gym?
Ans 3. It’s a subjective topic. Some people find gym unbeatable, whereas others can’t live without yoga. Both have their own benefits. However, the best thing about yoga is that you don’t need any special equipment. Yoga is all about body movements without any expensive equipment.
Q4. Which is better–yoga or walking?
Ans 4. Experts say that yoga poses for weight loss helps you burn 340 calories and one-hour walking burns 242 calories. Poses like triangle pose, plank, or cobra asanas help you achieve your weight loss goals.
Q5. How much time would yoga take for the best weight loss results?
Ans 5. Yoga almost takes 6-12 weeks, but you have to be consistent and diligent to get the best possible outcomes. In simple words, you should be passionate about losing your weight.