Earl Grey and Lemon Cake
A cake with just a little bit of a difference. A variation tried by my mother and inherited by me. The dash of lemon and the bits of earl grey tea leaves coupled with roasted walnuts…And you have a that perfect tea cake…Serve and enjoy !!
Butter (salted) – 8 tbsp
Eggs – 3
Maida – 1 3/4 cup
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Castor sugar – 1 cup
Walnuts (lightly toasted & chopped) – 1 cup
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Honey – 50 gms
Earl grey tea leaves – 1 1/2 tsp (chopped)
Lemon zest – 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Sift the flour and baking powder. Whisk in the tea leaves and the lemon zest.
- Cream butter and sugar together using an electric mixer till pale yellow and fluffy ( about 3-5 minutes).
- Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure that each one is incorporated well before adding the next.
- Add the honey, vanilla essence and the flour mixture and mix.
- Now gently fold in the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to a cake tin that has been greased well and dusted with maida.
- Bake till done (about 40-45 minutes).