Mother’s Day is a day to celebrate mothers and what they mean to us. Mothers are unique, so why not have a special day for them? All over the world, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, which is why the date changes every year. Mother’s Day 2023 falls on the 14th of May.
The History of Mother’s Day
Mothers have always been revered and honoured. The tradition of celebrating motherhood has existed for as long as mothers. During ancient times festivals honouring mothers were often tied to gods and goddesses and maternal symbols of fertility, birth, creativity and growth cycles. The mother is considered the protector and nourisher of children and, by extension, of all humanity.
The Phrygians held a festival for Cybele, The Great Mother of the Gods. The Greeks and the Romans also honoured the mother figure of their Gods, and even today in India, the festival of Durga Puja celebrates the Goddess Durga.
Europeans honoured their mothers on the fourth Sunday of Lent on Mothering (or Simnel) Sunday. During the Middle Ages, labourers, apprentices and servants- mainly daughters who had gone to work as domestic servants would be given a holiday on the fourth Sunday of Lent to return to their mothers and the “mother” church.
Family reunions were the order of the day with children, that is, sons and daughters, assuming all household duties and preparing a special dinner in honour of their mother. During the day, sometimes, the mother would attend special church services with her family. The Lenten fasting rules were relaxed for the day. ( often, the gospel for the day would be about Jesus feeding the crowd with loaves of bread.)
The Simnel Cake
In 16th-century England, the eldest son or daughter would bring a “Mothering Cake” or “Simnel Cake”, which would be cut and shared by the entire family.
The Simnel Cake is a dried fruit cake with two layers of almond paste. The cake was made with 11 balls of marzipan icing on top representing 11 disciples. Traditionally, sugar violets would also be added.
Also Read: Mango Cake Recipe
The Modern Mother’s Day
In the United States, three women were responsible for establishing the tradition of Mother’s Day: Ann Reeves Jarvis, Julia Ward Howe and Ann’s daughter, Anna M. Jarvis. And believe it or not, all these women were activists who fought for children’s welfare, health and peace.
10 Ways to Celebrate Your Mom This Year and Every Other Year
1 . Cook for Mom
- This Mother’s Day, why don’t you cook for your mom? We can give you ideas
- Breakfast in bed- you know what she likes for breakfast, don’t you? So why don’t you put it all together, the eggs, the toast, the sausages, the fruit, the coffee and serve it in bed??
- You could bake a cake for her. It isn’t difficult at all. Chocolate, vanilla, fruit, coffee or whichever she likes.
Also Read: Chocolate Orange Cake
2 . Make a Card Just for Her.
Since you will give her a card, why not make one rather than buy one from a store which probably other mothers will also get? Put on your creative hat, add your personal touch and make it special. Special people need special treatment, don’t they?
3 . Watch a Movie Together.
You know the kind of movies she likes. If there is one running in the cinema hall, take her there. Or else you could all watch it together at the home computer with popcorn, coffee and other treats. And if you live somewhere else, watch the same movie on your computers at the same time!
Also Read: The 20 Best Movies Based on True Stories
4 . Get Creative: Make a Video, a Music Playlist or a Work of Art.
- You could get the entire family together and record Mother’s Day messages from all her children.
- If she loves music, pick her kind of music[ music from when she was growing up! I can guarantee you she will love it!] if she has an I phone, create a special iTunes playlist and mail it to her.
- Make her a piece of art. You don’t have to be an artist to do that. You can get enough ideas from the internet or Pinterest for DIY ideas. If she likes photos, you could paint something or make something like a photo frame for her.
5 . Step Outside for a Picnic or a Stroll in the Park.
Is your mom an outdoor person? If yes, pack a picnic basket and go to the nearby park to spend quality time with her.
Or pick up some coffee and the book you both are reading, and you could do a buddy read in a nearby park.
You could even just go for a stroll and enjoy the beautiful weather.
6 . Make Your Own Gift
Add your special touch to whatever you want to gift her. We can give you a few options:
- Make a photo album of your favourite pictures over the years. You can even do it digitally
- Write a letter to her with your favourite memory of the two of you
- Organise a family photo-it doesn’t have to be professional
- Give her a neck and shoulder massage
- Cook her favourite dish
- Gift her a jar full of her favourite beauty products
- Make her a face scrub with what is available in the kitchen
- Make a simple and low-cost plant terrarium for her
- Make a coffee cup candle by pouring the candle wax into a super cute coffee mug.
7 . Travel Virtually To a Museum or Garden of her Choice.
Even if you are not with her, the wonders of technology can open so many doors for you. More and more museums are opening their doors to offer virtual tours
- Set up a mother’s date with your mom to visit the Louvre in Paris or the Vatican in Rome, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
- You and your mom love nature? You could visit the famous tulip farm Keukenhof in Holland or Monet’s Gardens in France to see the water lilies or Hawaii to see the tropical flowers!
8 . Gift the Flowers Your Mom Loves in a Special Way
Surprise her on the day by getting the flowers of her choice. Make it special by picking up flowers in the colours of her choice. If you don’t live with her, give her an early morning surprise by going to wish her in the morning. And even if you do, you could walk into her room to wish her with her favourite blooms.
9 . Throw a Surprise Party
Everyone likes to meet their favourite people. So why don’t you get your mom’s favourite people on Mother’s Day for a party organised by you? Let all the friends celebrate the special day with each other.
10 . Surprise Her With a Thoughtful Gift
Mothers are always caring and considerate, doing everything for their children. Several times they sacrifice their desires for those of their children. So if you know something your mother has wanted for a long time but couldn’t get for some reason, surprise her this Mother’s Day by getting it for her.
Pick on anyone of these things to make Mother’s Day 2023 special for you and your mother!