Mother’s Day is around the corner, and people are gearing up to make it memorable for their mothers. In honour of this special day, we have compiled some interesting Mother’s Day facts and trivia for you!
Here we go!!
1. Mother’s Day isn’t Always on The Same Day Each Year
This day is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of May, and this year will be on May 14th.
2. Mother’s Day is The Third Highest-Selling Holiday for Flowers and Plants
After Christmas and Hanukkah, more people buy flowers and plants for their moms on Mother’s Day than any other holiday. You can’t blame them; it is the most beautiful thing anyone can give their mother. Many people like gifting carnations to their mothers.
3. One of The Earliest Mother’s Day Celebrations was in Ancient Greece
The Greeks would have spring celebrations in honour of Rhea, the goddess of fertility, motherhood and generation.
4. The Moniker ‘Mom’ Comes from Babies
The first thing most babies say is ‘Ma’, which is why the word for mother begins with the letter ‘M’ or is some iteration of the ‘ma’ sound in almost every language.
5. The Greeting Card is The Most Popular Mother’s Day Gift
Whatever else children might give as a gift, a Mother’s Day card is one of the most popular things they like to give. Approximately 152 million Mother’s Day cards are sent every Mother’s Day.
Also Read: Letter to My Mother
6. Mother’s Day is Celebrated All Over The World
Possibly every country in this world, from the U.S., Canada, and Costa Rica to Australia, India and Thailand, celebrates Mother’s Day. It is something that unites the world.
7. Most People Gift a Piece of Jewellery to Their Moms
Though flowers are the most popular gift, jewellery is a close second. And some people prefer to give both.
8. Some Countries Celebrate Festivals Which Honour Mothers
In India, people celebrate Durga Puja, a festival that pays homage to the goddess Durga. The ten-day festival celebrates the goddess as the motherly power behind all life and creation.
9. Beauty Salons and Spas Get a Mother’s Day Boost
Another popular gift for mothers is spa and salon gift vouchers, and many children gift these to their mothers to have a relaxed and peaceful day.
10. Moms Aren’t The Only Ones Getting Mother’s Day Love
Mothers aren’t the only ones who are showered with love and affection on Mother’s Day. Many people also buy gifts and cards for their grandmothers, sisters, aunts and mothers-in-law. So there is a lot of love going around!
11. In America, Anna Jarvis Founded Mother’s Day
Anna Jarvis was the founder of Mother’s Day in the United States. She led the movement to have such a day in memory of her mother. But later on, she became disenchanted with the growing commercialisation of the day and started protesting against it.
We are sure you were unaware of some Mother’s Day facts. But now you are!
Have a great Mother’s Day!!
What do you think?