If you have a passion for cooking or have friends who create and share recipes, two words you will hear from them often or read about are ‘instant pot’. For the unknown, an instant pot is a blend of a pressure cooker, flash cooker, or electric cooker and is a one-pot process that can help one cook instantly and easily.
There are hundreds of instant pot recipes available over the internet. However, not all of them are a hit. In this blog, we have put together 15 most popular instant pot recipes for you to try.
The Basics of Instant Pot
Here are some basic questions about an instant pot.
1. How Long do Instant Pot Recipes Take?
This is a question for many people. The first thing about an instant pot is a pressure cooker. So, it takes time for the cooker to build pressure and then cook the ingredients. However, the advantage of this is that it does not burn food and releases flavor better.
2. Do All Instant Pot Recipes Need Water?
Yes. water is needed for the cooker to build pressure. Just like pressure cookers shouldn’t be operated without water inside, instant pot recipes need some water to initiate cooking.
3. Are Instant Pots Healthy?
Flash cooking at low temperatures may help retain nutrition better. However, at the end of the day, instant pot recipes are as healthy as the ingredients added to them.
4. What are the Basic Rules of Instant Pot?
- Use at least one cup of water for making any instant pot recipe.
- Know which part of the instant pot you can wash and which you shouldn’t.
- The steam valve release is very hot. Handle it with care.
- Never forcefully open the instant pot. The pressure has to release fully before the lid can open.
Here are some of the tasty, healthy, easy, and the best instant pot recipes to try out.
Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipes
1. Pav Bhaji
Let’s start with one of the favorite delicacies for adults and kids – pav bhaji. Making bhaji can be very challenging, as it involves standing in the kitchen and constantly stirring the bhaji mix. As an instant pot meal, this is super easy.
- Use the sauté mode, add butter and all your favorite vegetables and saute them until they are soft and cooked.
- Add tomato paste, bhaji masala, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar to the mix and close the instant pot lid.
- Use the pressure cook mode and cook for six minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. Mash everything with a potato masher and add coriander and serve.
2. Paneer Butter Masala
Another of the favorite instant pot recipes that is easy is paneer butter masala.
- In high sauté mode, add two tablespoons of butter and saute ginger garlic paste and onions until their aromas are released.
- Add a cup of tomato puree and half a cup of water and stir to combine.
- Add the following spices to the top without mixing them in – garam masala, Kashmiri chili, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar.
- Turn on the pressure cook mode for 8-10 minutes.
- Use quick-release mode and release pressure. Open and add in fresh cream and crushed kasuri methi. Use a blender to make a smooth, creamy paste. Add water if needed.
- Add fresh paneer and a dollop of butter on top. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Also Read: Corn, Capsicum Paneer
3. Vegetable Khichdi
One of the popular instant pot family dinner recipes is khichdi. This is a one-pot meal that is easy to make and comforting to eat during winter nights.
- Use the sauté mode on the instant pot, add ghee, and temper cumin, garlic, and ginger.
- Add a mix of vegetables of your choice and sauté them for a few minutes.
- Add a pinch of garam masala, two sliced green chilis, turmeric powder, and hing.
- Add a cup of rice and lentils of your choice and sauté them for a minute.
- Now add 4-5 cups of water and the required salt.
- Close the lid and choose the rice mode.
- Once the pressure naturally settles, open the lid and mix everything well. Garnish with coriander and serve.
Meat-Based Instant Pot Recipes
Cooking meat needs a certain level of expertise. The meat needs to cook perfectly while not getting too soft and squishy. Here is where these easy instant pot recipes come to help.
4. Butter Chicken
One of the ever-favourite meat recipes in India and other parts of the world is butter chicken.
- On sauté mode, add 3 tablespoons butter and minced garlic and ginger and sauté until the aromas release.
- Add the following ingredients – 500 ml tomato puree, 800-900 grams of boneless and skinless chicken thigh, garam masala, Kashmiri chili, turmeric powder, salt, and coriander powder.
- Select pressure cook mode and cook for 6 minutes on high. Let the pressure release.
- Mix in the fresh cream, sugar, and crushed kasuri methi. Serve with coriander leaves.
Also Read: Honey Chicken Recipe
5. Shrimp Curry
Shrimp curry tastes amazing when the shrimps are fresh, and homemade thick coconut milk is used.
- Use the sauté mode on the instant pot and add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, and ginger garlic paste.
- Add onion and tomato and sauté for five minutes.
- Add a spoonful of thick tamarind paste and 1/4th cup of water. Add the freshly washed shrimps and stir gently. Add the required salt.
- Select high-pressure mode and close the vent. Set the timer for 3 minutes.
- Once the pressure is released, mix in 1/4th cup of thick coconut milk.
- Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
6. Goat Curry
If you are looking for an instant pot family dinner recipe that’s easy to make and tastes great with rice or roti, then try this simple goat curry.
- Put the instant pot in sauté mode and add oil. Sauté ginger-garlic paste. Blend onions and tomatoes separately. Add the onion paste and sauté until oil releases. Add the tomato paste.
- Add potatoes, peas, carrots, and sliced goat meat. Add garam masala, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, and turmeric powder.
- Add 1/4th cup of water. Close the lid and use the pressure cook mode. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Once pressure naturally releases, open and garnish with coriander leaves.
Weeknight Instant Pot Recipes
7. Chicken Biryani
One of my most favorite foods of all time is chicken biryani. You can make this on a weekend evening and enjoy it with your family. Use this most popular instant pot recipe and whip up a juicy biryani in minutes.
- Marinate the chicken with mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste, yogurt, garam masala, chili powder, and lemon juice.
- Close with a plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Put the instant pot in sauté mode. Add equal quantities of ghee and butter. Add whole garam masala spices, ginger garlic paste, caramelized onions, mint leaves, coriander leaves, and tomatoes, and let them sauté well. Add needed salt.
- Add biryani masala and garam masala and one cup of yogurt.
- Add one cup of soaked rice and mix everything gently.
- Add the marinated chicken on top and add one more cup of milk.
- Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Switch off and let the pressure naturally release. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the biriyani hot.
8. Instant Noodles
Eating a bowl full of hot and spicy instant noodles can bring back amazing childhood memories. Try this easy instant pot recipe on a weekend and enjoy it with friends or family.
- Turn the instant pot on sauté mode.
- Add one tablespoon of oil and sauté mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, and onions and sauté well.
- Add thinly sliced vegetables of choice and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the instant noodle masala, chili powder, and coriander powder.
- Add 600 ml water and break three packs of noodles into the pot.
- Mix well. Close the lid and set it on the pressure mode for three minutes.
- Quick release and open. Enjoy the noodles.
9. Alfredo Pasta
Alfredo pasta is a white sauce pasta recipe relished by all. Here is an easy way to make Alfredo pasta at home in the instant pot.
- Put the pot on sauté mode and add three tablespoons of butter.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for half a minute.
- Add two tablespoons of all-purpose flour and mix well. Slowly add 2 cups of milk while stirring the contents. Wait until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt, oregano seasoning, and chili flakes to the sauce and transfer to another bowl.
- In the same pot, add 500 g of pasta of your choice and four cups of water. Add salt and close the lid.
- Now choose the high-pressure mode and cook for five minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. If there is excess water, it can be drained. Now mix in the sauce and serve with some olive oil drizzled on top.
Instant Pot Recipes for Kids
Here are some of the hit instant pot recipes for kids that will be winners in your home.
10. Mac and Cheese
All kids love mac and cheese because it is non-spicy and cheesy. Here is how you can do this in an instant pot easily.
- In a sauté mode, add one tablespoon of butter and sauté minced garlic. Add small pieces of vegetables of your choice.
- Sauté for a minute, and then add one tablespoon of all-purpose flour and one cup of milk. Add needed salt.
- Now take a smaller bowl and add 100 g macaroni and half a cup of water. Place this on a trivet inside the instant pot.
- Close the lid and cook at high pressure for five minutes. After the pressure settles, open and drain the macaroni water. Add cooked mac to the sauce and mix well. Serve warm.
11. Masala Poha
A very easy breakfast or lunch recipe for kids is this masala poha. You can cook this instant pot recipe in a matter of minutes.
- Put the instant pot in sauté mode and add one teaspoon of oil. Add mustard, cumin seeds, and hing, and sauté.
- Now add thinly sliced onions, one sliced green chili, and cubes of potato. Add turmeric powder and salt.
- When the potatoes are cooked, add soaked and strained poha. Do not mix.
- Switch off the instant pot, close the lid and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Open and fluff up. Squeeze some lemon and serve.
Sambar is such a versatile side dish that can be enjoyed with many South Indian delicacies. Here is an easy way to make a simple and kid-friendly instant pot sambar.
- Soak toor dal in hot water for half an hour.
- Put the instant pot in sauté mode. Add some ghee and temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and hing.
- Add sliced onions and tomatoes, and vegetables of choice. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sambar masala and mix well.
- Add the soaked toor dhal and thrice the quantity of water. Mix in one spoon of tamarind paste.
- Put the lid on and pressure cook for eight minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open and add a teaspoon of ghee and serve hot.
Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
If you are a health freak, here are three very instant pot recipes that are healthy too.
13. Chickpeas Sundal
Chickpea is a wonderful source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Here is a great sundal recipe you should try.
- Soak chickpeas overnight and drain the water.
- Add the chickpeas to the inner pot and add twice the quantity of water and required salt.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 20 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Drain the remaining water.
- Now temper mustard seeds, curry leaves, and two red chillies in coconut oil and add to the sundal. Garnish with freshly grated coconut.
14. Chicken Stir Fry
Stir fries are easy to make, very healthy, and filling. These can be made based on the ingredients available at home. Here is a quick instant pot stir fry recipe for you.
- Add one cup of water or chicken stock, two chicken thighs, brown sugar, salt, and ginger-garlic paste to the inner pot.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Once pressure releases, open the lid and shred the chicken with a fork.
- Change the cooking mode to sauté and add sliced vegetables to the pot.
- Let the vegetables cook slightly in the juices of the chicken stock.
- In a bowl, add some sesame oil, red chilli flakes, brown sugar, salt, rice vinegar, and sesame seeds. Mix well and add to the stir fry pot.
- Serve hot and fresh.
Also Read: Chicken Popcorn Recipe
Hummus is a thick creamy dip made of chickpeas. This is very commonly savoured in Middle Eastern cuisine. Try making hummus at home in the instant pot. This is a versatile instant pot recipe that pairs well with a lot of sides and mains.
- Add 1 cup of soaked chickpeas, two bay leaves, one full small onion, and two cloves of garlic to the inner pot.
- Add four cups of water and salt and close the lid. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the contents cool down, throw them in a blender and add two more cloves of garlic and some lemon juice. Discard the bay leaves and onion and blend the mix.
- Blend into a thick, smooth paste. Add some water to blend if needed.
- Add the mix to a bowl, mix in some tahini and olive oil, and serve fresh.
If you have been contemplating buying an instant pot, then these fifteen easy instant pot recipes should encourage you to make the purchase. This kitchen equipment also has delay modes where you can add all ingredients and set the timer to start cooking at the desired time, even when you are not around.
While instant pots can be used to cook all kinds of cuisines, it is especially useful to make rice or lentil recipes that otherwise take a long time to cook. Having a single instant pot in the kitchen can eliminate the need for pressure cookers, sauté pans, electric cookers, and kadais.