India, a land known worldwide for its diversity, culture, history and tradition, has many firsts to its credit. We list some of these facts about India for you.
1. Land of Many ‘Firsts’, India Invented Snakes & Ladders, Shampooing, Algebra and More!
Many concepts and objects find their origin in the country that is India. From games like chess, snakes and ladders to things like buttons and diamond mining originated in India. We are the ones who gave the World the concept of zero and pi, along with algebra and trigonometry. The fact that there is water on the moon was our discovery.
2. The Highest Cricket Ground in the World
Isn’t it only natural that a cricket-loving nation should be home to the highest cricket ground in the World? This cricket ground is situated in Chail, in the State of Himachal Pradesh, at 2144 metres above sea level.
3. India is the Second Largest English-speaking Nation in the World
Almost 10% of the country’s population is fluent in English, which is second only to the US. This figure is expected to quadruple in the next decade.
4. The Second Largest Network of Roads in the World
The country has around 1.9 million miles of roads, making it the second-largest network of roads in the World, second only to the USA.
5. World’s Highest Rail Bridge in Jammu
The arch-shaped Chenab bridge is 35 meters taller than the Eiffel tower, making it the World’s tallest bridge. It stands at a height of 1178 feet over the Chenab river.
6. Bandra- Worli Sea Link has Steel Wires Equal to Earth’s Circumference
This is not something that most people know. Each of the cables is capable of holding 900 tons of weight. The weight of the entire establishment is equivalent to that of 50,000 African elephants.
7. Most Visited Place in the World- the Golden Temple in Amritsar
As per the World Book of Records, The Golden Temple is the most visited place in the World, with over one lakh devotees visiting the shrine daily.
8. The Highest Motorable Road in the World
Ladakh in India is home to the World’s highest motorable road at an elevation 0f over 19,300 feet.
9. Biggest Family in the World
Mr Ziona Chana is the head of the World’s largest family of 181 members. He has 39 wives, 94 children, 14 daughters-in-law and 33 grandchildren. They all live in a 100-room mansion in Baktawng village of Mizoram.
10. The Largest Number of Vegetarians in the World
If you are a vegetarian, then India is the place for you. With most of the population comprising Hindus, around 29% – 40% of the people are vegetarians.
11. World’s Largest Milk Producer
Indis holds the record for being the World’s largest milk producer. It produces almost 155.5 million tonnes in a year.
12. A Day dedicated Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam in Switzerland Called Science Day
Dr Kalam visited Switzerland on May 26, 2006, and that day is nationally known as Science Day in Switzerland.
13. World’s Only Floating Post Office
We in India have our very own Floating post office on the Dal Lake in Srinagar. Perched on a houseboat, it is also home to a philately museum.
14. Varanasi, One of the Oldest Inhabited Places in the World
Almost 5000 years old, Varanasi is situated on the banks of the Ganges. According to Hindu mythology, the city was founded by Lord Shiva.
15. Mysterious Anti-gravity Hills in Ladakh, Magnetic Hill
Having an anti-gravitational effect, this is a magnetic hill in India. It is landmarked by a yellow notice board that spells out instructions and asks visitors to put their car in neutral gear on the spot marked by white paint. And then, the car will begin to move uphill on its own.
16. Mawsynram- the Wettest Place on Earth
With 11,873 mm of rain annually, this town in Meghalaya is the wettest place on earth. It holds the Guinness world record for this. The place gets so much rain due to its proximity to the Bay of Bengal. This region’s winter months are spent preparing for the six-month-long monsoon ahead.
17. The Number of People Travelling on Indian Railways Every Day is Equal to the Population of Australia
Connecting more than 7172 stations, India Railways carry about 23 million passengers daily in 12,617 trains.
Also Read: 25 Best Places to Visit in Australia
18. Benny Prasad: Fastest Man to have Travelled Around the World in 6.5 Years
This instrumental guitarist from India, who is the first one to have designed the World’s first bongo guitar, holds the world record for visiting 257 countries in six years, six months and 22 days.
19. Lake Formed by a Meteor
Lonar lake in Maharashtra was created by a plummeting meteor about 52,000 years ago. This lake is a 4-hour drive from Aurangabad. Travel enthusiasts must not miss this astronomical marvel and the temples around it.
20. World’s First Hospital Train
The Lifeline Express, the Jeevan Rekha Express, is the World’s first hospital train, taking its services from surgeries to cancer treatment to remote villages.
21. Largest number of Mosques
With almost 300,00, India has the largest number of mosques in the World.
Hope you enjoyed reading about these facts about India.