Come winter and it is time to cook this delicious halwa! A dish much loved by my son and nephew.
This is one of the many recipes that has come to me from my mother’s collection though I never made it when she was around. Come to think of it I never cooked much when she was there!! Something that I will always regret.
Save 10% at Ma Earth Botanicals. Use code “ABOUTHER10” at checkout.
But be prepared!! Following this recipe means that you will be in the kitchen like forever but believe me it is worth the effort and time. And not to mention the smile that the halwa will bring on!!
- Carrots (grated finely) 1 kg
- Milk (full cream) 2 litres
- Sugar 1 1/2 cups (standard size teacup)
- Ghee 1 cup
- Almonds (blanched, peeled and sliced) 1/4 cup
- Raisins 1/3 cup (soaked in water for a while to plump them up)
- Cardamom powder to sprinkle and for the flavour
- Put 1 tsp sugar in a heavy-bottomed kadhai and wait for it to melt. ( As per our family, the melted sugar adds shine to the halwa!!)
- Once the sugar dissolves, add the grated carrots. Cook till they are almost dry( no trace of water )
- Now add milk. Keep stirring, scraping the sides till the milk is completely absorbed. ( Will take agonisingly long!!)
- While the milk is getting absorbed, add the cardamom powder.
- Once the milk gets absorbed, reduce the heat and add the ghee.
- Keep cooking till the carrots turn deep red in colour and the ghee leaves the sides of the kadhai.
- Now mix in the almonds, raisins and sugar.
- Wait till the sugar gets dissolved. Turn off the gas the moment you stop seeing the sugar granules.
- Serve hot.
A sure shot hit recipe!!