Sometimes all one is looking for is comfort food. One may have a bad day, or one may have come back home after a long time and just wants to feel comfortable at home. So one wants something that is tasty and nice. Or you have a sudden guest at home, and you need to rustle up something quickly.
This is a chicken dish that is an answer to all of the above. It is quick to put together, and you can never go wrong with this. It is liked by everyone. It is crispy and crunchy and makes for a great evening snack.
Hers is my chicken popcorn recipe, follow it and tell me how it turned out.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts 300 gms
- Oil for frying
For the marinade
- Buttermilk 2 cups
- Soya Sauce 1 tbsp
- Tomato Sauce 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For the coating
- Maida 1 cup
- Rice Powder 2 tbsp
- Cornflour 2 tbsp
- Paprika Powder 1 tsp
- Pepper 3/4 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp
- Onion Powder 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Powder 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder 1/2 tsp
- Take the boneless chicken, cut into small pieces in a bowl. Whisk the buttermilk and the sauces very well. Add in the salt, mix and then add the chicken. Cover and let it sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. You could marinate it for longer but never more than 12 hours.
- Mix all the ingredients for coating.
- Take the marinated chicken and add it to the mix. Toss to make sure it is evenly coated.
- Remove the chicken from the coating mix and transfer it back to buttermilk. Then transfer it back to the coating mix for a second coating.
- Take a kadhai or a deep pan and heat the oil. Heat it over a medium-high flame.
- Add the coated chicken pieces and deep fry them until golden brown. Fry in batches.
- Take the fried pieces on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Serve with a dip of your choice.
Also Read: Honey Chicken Recipe
How to Serve
There are various ways in which you can serve the chicken popcorn-
- You could serve it with a dip of your choice like ketchup, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, mayonnaise, ranch dressing, or mix the ketchup and barbecue sauce for a tangy dip.
- You could even sprinkle chicken popcorn on your favourite salad or a pasta dish to make it crunchy.
- You could use it as a sandwich/ sub filling along with lettuce, tomato and mayo.
- Another option is to serve it by alternating chicken pieces, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf again with a dip of your choice.
Also Read: The Traditional Punjabi Chicken Curry (Made with oodles of love, among other things)
Take your pick!!
What do you think?