Caring for our hair and skin should come naturally to us and be a part of our routine. Therefore, one should not wait for a problem or a condition to appear before taking any action.
Considering the world that we live in, there is no denying that we expose ourselves to pollution and many harsh chemicals that affect both our skin and hair and not in the right way. Even exposure to the sun causes untold damage.
Since some of the exposure is inevitable, we need remedies to try and reduce the effect of that exposure. We need to mitigate the impact as much as possible.
Also Read: Best Indian Herbs for A Glowing Skin
The best part is that this is not difficult and we don’t need to spend a lot of money buying expensive creams and lotions to do that. Most of these remedies can be found in our kitchens; we just need to make an effort and put everything together.
So here are some simple remedies that can help us take care of the impact of chemicals and pollution on our skin and hair.
Try them out and see how they work!
- Whenever we feel that our face has been exposed to a lot of dirt and grime, it is a common practice to overwash it. While washing the face is fine, we should not overdo it, which means washing it once is good enough. If you wash it more than once, you will do more harm than good. It will dry your skin, and you don’t want that.
2. After washing the face, you can pamper the skin by applying a face mask. Here are some options-
Make a paste of besan, carrot juice and milk. Mix the three really well. Now apply it all over your face and wait for a few minutes. Let it dry off, and then gently scrub the grime away.
Also Read: 10 Essential Winter Skincare Tips To Follow
Another option is to make a paste of besan, turmeric and curd; this paste can also be applied in the same way to achieve the same result.
Not only will your face be clean, but it will feel good too.
These masks can be applied irrespective of your skin type.
Like the face, the body also needs nourishment and pampering.
1. It is an excellent habit to oil your body before you take a shower. You could apply coconut oil or any other oil but apply it liberally all over the body. This will ensure that your skin remains soft and supple after the shower.
2. To give your skin a squeaky clean look, you can try this. Apply an ubtan of besan, curd, turmeric powder, sandalwood powder and rosewater all over your body. This mix is very gentle and leaves skin feeling nourished and rejuvenated.
3. If you have been out in the sun for a long duration, use Aloe vera. Take the gel from the Aloe vera plant and apply it all over your body. This will take care of the suntan/ burn and repair the skin cells. It will also nourish your skin and also replenish lost moisture.
4. Also, make sure to shower only with cool/warm water. Actually, lukewarm water is the best. Never take a shower with very hot water, as it will only end up stripping your body of all moisture.
Hair also needs to be treated gently after the harsh exposure to the sun and other elements, especially the chemicals found in the hair colour that we all use nowadays.
1. An essential part of your hair care routine should be to oil your hair regularly. Most of us don’t oil our hair because we believe that it will leave our hair looking limp and lifeless. And even if we do, we feel that we need to shampoo it at least twice to get all the oil out. As a result, the hair gets even drier.
So then, what do we do?
2. Do not refrain from oiling your hair, but instead of shampooing it twice to take out the oil, you could try this.
Make a thin paste with besan and water and apply this after you wet your hair. Rinse your hair nicely to remove all traces of the paste, and then use your regular shampoo. Not only will you have nourished your hair, but it will be back to being bouncy and fluffy.
Also Read: Under Eye Nourishing Oil
3. Other than oiling, you could use a hair mask too for added nourishment.
Take the yolk of an egg and add some besan to it. Mix the two to make a paste. Apply this on your hair and keep it on for about forty minutes till it starts to dry. Then shampoo your hair and see the difference.
Another option is to make a paste of curd, methi (fenugreek) powder, hair oil and besan. Then, apply it liberally on your head and the length of the hair. Let it stay there for an hour, and then shampoo it off with a gentle shampoo. This, too, is a great way to take care of dry and damaged hair.
It is always good to remember that whatever be the issue, one must always go the natural way to sort it out. So, avoid using harsh chemical shampoos or face washes to cleanse your skin; they strip the moisture and damage the skin further.
Gentle natural exfoliation using ingredients from the kitchen will cleanse, nourish, and rejuvenate the skin while keeping it moisturized.
Also Read: Ice Cube Facials – The Best Skin Secret Ever
So yes, don’t expose yourself to harsh chemicals/colours, but if you do, don’t compound the damage by treating the issue by further using harsh chemicals in the form of harsh shampoos or cleansers.